- Your main goal with Instagram is to generate engagement both on your own posts and with other people on the platform. Instagram and Facebook are driven by a programmed algorithm which looks for key indicators on posts in order to show them to more people. By boosting engagement you are telling the algorithm that your content is interesting and relevant and the platform will show your posts to more people.
- Your Page: You want people liking and commenting on your posts so encourage people to do so. Ask questions, encourage people to like or leave comments.
- Other Pages: A crucial component to Instagram is engaging with OTHER accounts by liking / commenting / following other accounts. Follow local hashtags and like / comment on any posts including the hashtag. Be sure to ALWAYS comment on any posts that are related to your business whether using your businesses hashtag, using your location or tagging your handle. Re – broadcast these posts and make sure to engage with these fans as they are your brand advocates.
- Post great photos. Instagram is a visual medium and the better a photo looks, the more people will want to engage with it.
- Play around with the filters within Instagram to boost the look.
- Hashtag like crazy. Don’t be scared to over hashtag in the beginning because this is the way people will discover you. Use hashtags related to our community #SouthRockBuzz #WhiteRock #ExploreWhiteRock.
I’m not going to lie, social media does take some time and dedication. You have to stay consistent and keep up with your audience but if you’re trying to reach a new audience on a limited budget, Instagram is a great channel to consider.
Take a look at the Handpicked Home Shop who have built up over 6,800 followers! She’s done a fantastic job of building up her brand through social media and now has a dedicated audience to communicate to whenever something new or exciting is in store.
If you have any questions or want more help with your digital marketing strategy feel free to reach out to me.
Director, White Rock BIA